
What could the lovey Patty Vare (Our Winona) be hiding? She is so evasive with the police officer who stops by her really big house to question her. And when she is discovered by some prep school boys after accidently falling off her horse she lies about who she is. Secreted into the boys' dorm she wreaks havoc, and then leaves with handsome, yet predictably snarky, scholarship student John Baker (Lucas Haas). Made in 1996 this movie was probably not meant to have a theme of un-examined privilege, but if I were teaching a course about it I would certainly use it for that purpose. There are a lot of one-dimensional, predictable characters, (mostly authority figures) that the audience is clearly supposed to sneer at, while cheering on Vare and Baker. I frankly found none of the characters like-able, and the story was unadulterated adolescent boy/older woman fantasy, but overall not a horrible way to spend an 86 minutes. See more at imdb.
Final verdict: three croquet balls
No comments:
Post a Comment