Monday, March 18, 2024

Noni Pulls a Caper

This phrase popped out of my mouth about halfway through our viewing of Gone in the Night, and I decided to use it for this post. I am staying with that choice, though "caper" captures only one of several distinct moods and genres that Noni's latest work takes in the course of just 90 minutes.


My first thought when noticing that the writer and director is named Eli Horowitz was that Winona herself might have created this, since her birth name was Winona Laura Horowitz. My second thought was that she might have agreed to the project as a favor to a close family member. I could not find any mention of the author's family, however, and in an interview with Grant Hermanns of Screen Rant, he describes their first meeting, which came only after he had sent her the script. 

I recommend reading the Screen Rant interview after watching the film, but I will share one insight from the interview that sheds light on the film's impact without giving away any spoilers. The film, he says, makes sense only in the Airbnb era, which has given us an entire new set of relationships with people and places.

Final Verdict

Four Croquet Balls


This is an imperfect script, but perfectly executed. Winona's character Kath is more like Veronica than any of the roles she has played since Heathers, and for this reason fans will enjoy the performance, even if we find ourselves saying "What?" when the final credits roll.


No comments:

Post a Comment